The village was originally known as Hammond's Mills, and was part of Frederick Philipse's estate Philipsburgh. On September 23, 1780, Major John André stopped here on his way to New York to ask directions after meeting with Benedict Arnold.
After the Revolutionary War, the name of the village changed to Unionville. The hamlet's population consisted mostly of farmers. The Reformed Church of Unionville (Hawthorne Reformed Church) was built here in 1818. In 1832, a one-room school house was built. In 1847, a railroad station was established on New York Central's Harlem Division, with the name Unionville. A post office was established on February 10, 1851, and was designated Neperan after the Indian name for the Saw Mill River.
In the early 1890s, real-estate developer Louis Smadbeck began buying up the area farms to subdivide into parcels, which were sold to working- and middle-class people looking to live outside the city.
Construction on Hawthorne began in 1818. It was eventually enlarged to a large house with over 30 rooms and a full basement by the Manning family. The property was later purchased by Dr. James Daniel Browder; by the end of the Civil War he had down sized most of the existing structure and completed the house as it stands today. The architect for the project was J.W.Tayloe, a local gentleman-builder. He and the client designed the house with inspiration drawn from Samuel Sloan's 1852 publication of The Model Architect. The house and surrounding grounds, including Dr. Benjamin Duggar's office, were purchased by Joe Lee Davis and Ernestine Davis in the 1950s and remain in that family. 234 Davis Rd, Gallion AL 36742
Cesar Hawthorne Binag said that the relief of the 19 chiefs of police from the provinces of Antique, Aklan, Capiz, and Iloilo is based on the recommendation of the regional oversight committee. Relieved were nine police chiefs in Iloilo;six in Capiz; three in Aklan; and a chief of police in Antique province ... ....